Monday, August 17, 2009

Bone Shop

T.A. Pratt has written a series of books about Marla Mason, Crime boss, Sorceress and twitterer. Someone else linked to her tweets, I read them, liked them and knew I wanted to read more. Pratt has written a variety of things, from poetry to short stories , none of which I've read and none of which is in my local library.

Like others, Pratt is facing hard times and has started serializing a book about Marla's early days. Every Monday, a new chapter goes up here, right next to a very attractive donate button.
He also includes author musings for those of us who like to see behind the screen.

I don't know of any ordinary fiction or non-fiction author who is doing this. I'd be interested to know if it could work for non-fiction. I don't see why not.

My only problem with these serialized novels is that I don't like to wait. I tend to go several weeks ignoring Catherynne M. Valente's book until 2-3 chapters have been posted. Then I will download them and read them all at once.
But that small quibble aside, I think this is a great idea and I hope these authors are being supported as they deserve.

No comments: